Back and Neck Injuries: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Health is considered to be a vital factor in determining the lifespan and wellness of a human being. Imagine a person says, “I am suffering from severe pain in my back and neck, so Let’s Party!” Weird, right? That’s because none of us likes to suffer from health issues. However, studies show that back and neck pain are majorly reported as highly prevalent and poorly understood muscle injuries.
Neck and back injuries are common and even so are not considered as serious health-related problems. But the chronic pain may be a result of adverse changes in the spine’s anatomy and mechanics. To prevent or treat back and neck injuries, it is important to accurately learn their causes and extent. In this post, we have discussed in detail about the causes, symptoms, and treatment of neck and back injuries.
Causes of Back and Neck Injuries
Today, almost every adult experiences back and neck injuries at some point in their life. The main causes are-
- prolonged sitting
- bad postures
- heavy weight lifting
- sport injury
- sleeping positions
- insufficient sleeping hours/oversleeping
- an accident, which can cause whiplash
- strain or sprain
- lump in your neck
Symptoms of Back and Neck Injuries
There are many signs and symptoms involved in back and neck injuries. A person suffering from such injuries may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- Pain- You may suffer from pain in the neck that may extend to shoulders and lower back. The acute pain can be treated with heat and ice method while in the case of unbearable pain, consult your doctor immediately.
- Stiffness- The injuries can lead to a stiff neck or soreness on the neck and adjoining body parts that give burning or searing sensation.
- Headaches- The symptoms may include a headache that may further progress to severe tension headache, occipital neuralgia, and cervical.
- Numbness- Overtime, you may suffer from an absent or altered sensation that can make your fingers or arms numb or tingle.
- Dizziness- Chronic untreated beck and neck injuries may cause neurological deficits, making you weak. This weakness may result in dizziness, reduced blood flow, and even blackouts.
- Sleepless- The pain or headache can make you feel uncomfortable and you may face difficulties in sleeping. Also, you can feel down or low in mood, restless and tired.
- Loss of movement- Severe pain in the back and stiff neck may result in loss of movement.
- Accidents- The person may experience back and neck injuries in car accidents, sudden jerking of the head, or in falls.
BACK AND NECK INJURIES- TREATMENT
In case you suffer from bearable pain in the back and neck area, you can simply take some bed rest. Self-care will help you recover within 7-10 days.
Here are some tips to manage back and neck injuries at home:-
- Ice and heat therapy- Put an ice pad on the affected area followed by a heating pad. Repeat this several times in a day.
- Some stretching or flexing exercises that will help you ease the pain and strengthen your muscles. Make sure that the physical treatments are done under supervision by a qualified practitioner.
- Take a break from activities such as sports, heavy lifting, or gyming that may aggravate your signs and symptoms.
- Always maintain the right postures
- Avoid prolonged sitting while working and take regular breaks to stretch and exercise your neck
- Stay active and do regular exercises. While doing these exercises make sure you know your limits. If the pain aggravates, stop doing them immediately.
But if the problem persists, you should immediately look for medical help. Persistent pain in the back and neck may be a result of a particular cause like a damaged disc or facet joint. Experts advise that you must consult a doctor to undergo proper diagnosis to get the best treatment. Also, your doctor can ask you some questions for a thorough understanding of the cause and offer a best-suited solution to treat the injuries.
Few Questions That Your Doctor May Ask You:
- When did you start feeling the symptoms?
- Which part of the neck or back is under pain?
- Did you take any over the counter supplements or medicines?
- What is the nature of the pain? Is it soft, acute or killing?
- Are you experiencing weakness or numbness?
- Is the pain progressing towards shoulders and arms?
- Is the pain made worse by any specific movement?
- Are you taking any other prescribed medicine to treat another health-related problem?
HOW CAN WIMBLEDON CLINICS HELP WITH BACK AND NECK INJURIES?
Back and neck injuries need to be rightly diagnosed to be treated. We offer a full range of services to diagnose and picture your pain with the most advanced medical equipment accessible including ultrasound, MRI, CT scan facilities.
At Wimbledon clinic, we aim to provide non-operative treatments such as physiotherapy and medical treatment to treat back and neck injuries. In basic conditions, we prescribe painkilling and anti-inflammatory medications and advise some rest, along with stretching and strengthening exercises for your back and neck. However, surgery may be required in case of a complex condition. Our expert team of clinical surgeons practices the best spinal surgical techniques and technology to ensure you are given the best medical care available.
We can help you with the prime treatment that is best suited to your condition. So, why suffer from pain when Wimbledon Clinics is there for the cure. Feel free to call us by dialing 020 3962 1738, or send us an email at email@example.com.