Just like Mama used to Make – Comfort Food Recipes that Taste like Home
Comfort food recipes that bring back mom’s cooking also bring back fond childhood memories. Here are 2 of them that you can easily recreate in your kitchen:
1.Classic Chicken Noodle Soup in Bread Bowl
What you need
For the chicken:
- Chicken breasts (1 pound skinless and boneless)
- Olive oil (2 tspns)
- Black pepper (1/4 tspn)
- Salt (1/4 tspn)
For the soup:
- Yellow onion (1 medium, chopped)
- Garlic cloves (2, minced)
- Carrots (2, chopped)
- Dried parsley and thyme (1 tspn each)
- Dried sage and oregano (half a tspn each)
- Celery (3, chopped)
- Bay leaves (2)
- Egg noodles (8 ounces)
- Small bread boules (4)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chicken stock (8 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Brush the chicken breasts with olive oil as well as salt and pepper.
- Place the seasoned breasts on a baking sheet and pop in the preheated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes till the chicken is cooked through.
- Take out the cooked chicken from the oven and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Shred the cooled chicken and set aside.
- Now heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven and then add celery, onion, carrots and garlic.
- Add salt and pepper and cook till the vegetables turn slightly tender
- Add all the dried herbs and the bay leaves.
- Cook the mixture for about 8 minutes until the vegetables are cooked through. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the noodles and allow the mixture to simmer till the noodles are cooked through.
- Add the shredded chicken and season with salt and pepper after removing the bay leaves.
- Cut off the top from the bread boules and hollow them out.
- Pour the chicken noodle soup evenly in the hollowed out boules and serve.
2.Baked Mac and Cheese
What you need
- Whole milk (1 cup)
- Gnocchi (1 pound)
- Flour (1 tbspn)
- Unsalted butter (1 tbspn)
- Parmesan cheese (1/3 cup, shredded)
- Cheddar cheese (3/4 cup)
- Baby spinach (half a cup, chopped)
- Preheat the oven to about 375°F.
- Spray an 8 inch by 8 inch pan with nonstick oil spray.
- Now take a medium sized pot and fill it with water. Place it on high heat to boil.
- Once the water starts to boil, add the gnocchi and cook till it floats to the top. Drain and place the prepared gnocchi to one side.
- Take a large skillet and heat it before adding butter.
- Once the butter melts, add minced garlic and stir for about half a minute.
- Add flour and whisk until it is well combined with the garlic butter.
- Slowly add in milk to the mixture while whisking and till the mixture starts to thicken.
- Reduce the heat and add in half a cup of the shredded Parmesan and Cheddar cheese and spinach.
- Pour the sauce in a pan and add the rest of the shredded cheese on top.
- Bake for half an hour till the cheese melts and the top turns a golden brown in color.
These classic comfort food recipes will make anyone swoon with the first bite. Try them out yourself.