Unfolding the Myths and Facts about Wisdom Teeth
The third molars or wisdom teeth are the farthest dental arches that are usually the last teeth to develop if they ever come out. In general, there are four wisdom teeth. For the wisdom teeth to erupt usually, there must be enough space to accommodate these molars. In most cases, all four wisdom teeth fail to erupt appropriately. We commonly say human beings have 32 teeth however, it is rare to see someone with the maximum possibility of 32 teeth in their mouth that are optimally functional and aligned.
Why these teeth are called Wisdom Teeth?
The third molars usually show up when an individual crosses his adolescence and becomes and young adult that is somewhere between 17 and 25 years. Because of the age at which these teeth erupt, they have been called wisdom teeth. However, the eruption of wisdom teeth is not associated with wisdom.
For our ancestors, the third molars where functional as their jaw size was bigger. With evolution, the size of our jawbones has diminished, resulting in impacted wisdom teeth. Now wisdom teeth do not participate in masticatory or chewing functions like the other teeth. Hence dentists suggest affordable wisdom teeth removal cost Melbourne to avoid serious oral problems in the future. They are now classified as vestigial organs like the appendix.
Problems with Wisdom Teeth:
- The wisdom teeth can grow partially or completely impacted or erupt appropriately, like any other teeth. The completely erupted wisdom teeth might be covered by a portion of gum tissues, also known as operculum below, which the food debris can accumulate, leading to Pericoronitis. This can further lead to difficulty in opening the mouth, severe pain, and other acute symptoms like fever and lymph node enlargement.
- Partially impacted wisdom teeth are commonly seen in teeth in the lower jaw that begins to erupt however fail, due to lack of space. These teeth can grow at an angle so that some part of it is visible in the mouth and rest are under the jaw line. Partially erupted wisdom teeth are difficult to maintain and clean hence result in decay.
- The completely impacted wisdom teeth do not erupt and are not visible in the mouth at all however, these are present in the jaw bone. These teeth can cause pain when actively trying to erupt, but the lack of space limits their eruption. They can result in tumours, cyst, or even resorb the second molars.
- The wisdom teeth can also relapse the already treated orthodontic issues during adolescence.
- Wisdom teeth have multiple root structures that are angulated or sometimes have a tiny crown.
Reasons to undergo Wisdom teeth removal Melbourne:
If symptoms like tooth decay, infection, pain, and difficulty to clean or if the tooth is severely malpositioned, it is best to undergo removal of wisdom teeth Melbourne.
Partially impacted wisdom teeth are always indicated to present a high risk of decay and infection in the long term.
To summarise, it is frequently advised to undergo affordable Wisdom teeth removal cost Melbourne if the teeth do not come out, but the reason is to prevent damage to the adjacent molars.