What is a Berkey?
If the word Berkey is new to you, then you are probably one of a minority of people who have not heard about it. Synonymous with clean pure water, Berkeys have become the most popular choice for many households around the world.
Besides filtering and purifying tap water from contaminants that are now found even in countries with the highest of standards of purification. Berkeys are approved by international organizations for use in countries with sub-standard or even non-existent water purification systems in place and those traveling or living there can be assured of a safe supply of drinking water, even if sourced from stagnant pools.
People who enjoy the outdoors understand the need for having a reliable portable system on hand and those who like to be prepared for any emergency, then a Berkey is one of the best filtration systems to have at the ready.
Appearances are important and the 5 models in the Berkey Water System that are made of highly polished, 304 stainless steel are each attractive enough to stand on any countertop or server. Ranging in capacity from 1.5 to 6 gallons, each unit comes with a durable spigot for easy dispensing and a removable lid that is easy to clean.
Travel Berkey has 1.5 gallon capacity
Big Berkey has a 2.2 gallon capacity
Royal Berkey has a 3.2 gallon capacity
Imperial Berkey has a 4.5 gallon capacity
Crown Berkey has a 6 gallon capacity
Purifying even clean tap water has become necessary in order to remove harmful pathogenic bacteria, contaminants and impurities. Each Berkey unit consists of two chambers. The top chamber, depending on the model you have chosen, will hold anything between two and eight purification elements which are made from activated carbon and each one can filter up to 3000 gallons of water before needing replacing.
The purification system is gravity-fed, so there is no need for a pump or an electricity supply. As the water passes through the filters from the top chamber into the bottom one, it is purified and ready for you to dispense through the spigot.
Easy enough to set up, you will need about an hour the first time you do to flush and prime the filters. The assembly of the unit is also very straightforward enough.
What people love about the Berkey:
- With a 3000 gallon lifespan, the cost of replacing the filters is minimal compared to other systems and buying bottled water. Depending on the amount of water filtered through them daily they usually only need to be cleaned every 12 months. When the time comes to replace them you will notice that they will have slowed down a lot.
- You don’t need any fancy installation systems, electricity or water pressure to run the system.
- Even though the filters remove chemicals, bacteria, viruses, protozoa and heavy metals from the water, they leave in all the essential minerals needed by your body.
- The filtration system removes odors and tastes from any water, no matter its source letting you enjoy the tastiest glass of water,
- It is portable and can be taken anywhere while it is also easy to dispense water and everyone in the household can reach the spigot.
- Any family member can help with the filling up of the unit because it is easy to do.
- The system contains no plastic so the water doesn’t come into contact with harmful chemicals.
- It has been estimated that the Berkey is the cheapest system around and that every gallon of water will cost less than 2 cents to filter.
- The system can filter faster when it is run with more filters, making it perfect for emergency preparedness.
- Families that run an environmentally friendly home love the fact that their Berkey ensures that they are not contributing to plastic waste polluting.