Crowdfunding to get higher education
Since the introduction of privatization, education costs have steadily increased. This has made education unaffordable to the poor. Primary and secondary education is free of course but when students come to college, they find their expenses skyrocketing. Part of the increasing expenses can be because of the tuition fees, living costs or because of the area you have chosen to study. Some fields are so expensive, it is next to impossible for poor students to get in. These include hotel management, fashion designing and a lot more. Private engineering colleges too are incredibly expensive.
Does this mean students who come from certain backgrounds can never study these subjects? Are there ways in which a financially underprivileged woman can get into film schools? Such a thing was unheard of a few years ago but with the increasing popularity of crowdfunding, things are set to change. Students are increasingly taking to crowdfunding to pay through college as privatization makes them more prone to student debt. Women are the worst affected as parents tend to spend lesser and lesser on them in order to finance the education of boys. Yet, never has higher education been more important or specialization more needed to get a well-paying job.
A good way of countering this tide is to raise funds for your degree online. If you want to get into a B.Tech degree and will settle for nothing less, make a list of all the colleges you can get into. Accordingly, plan a budget and start a fundraiser. If however, after getting into a course, you realize that it is too expensive, you would have to raise funds on an emergency basis to gain admission. Crowdfunding for education means being able to take both approach and succeeding at them. You will just have to find out how.
- One of the keys to successful education crowdfunding is to start early. Start your fundraiser as soon as you start your preparations for the course you are targeting. You will not end up in the exact same course as you intended but you crowdfunding target can be based on a ballpark figure in this case.
- If you do find that you have to raise funds on an emergency basis, the best way to do it is by talking on video. Write your fundraiser in such a way that it conveys the urgency of the situation. Send your fundraiser to as many people as possible but mostly target people who were enthusiastic about your education. They can be teachers, seniors, family of friends etc. You will form your team as you advance with your crowdfunding.
- Crowdfunding education is important because it makes campus spaces more exclusive. Much of it is also dependent on how your fundraiser is perceived on social media. Therefore, ask your friends or your team to share your fundraiser with your story as much as possible.
- You may think your social media outreach is not enough. If this happens in an emergency situation you have to find someone whose social media presence is strong enough to attract donors. If you have a friend who is famous on social media, this could be very helpful.
- If you have time to do your crowdfunding, you can afford to do it slowly. Make a team and share your fundraiser. If however, you think one fundraiser is not enough, create a number of them to be shared by your friends. This gives your fundraisers more visibility.
Crowdfunding education is important as it allows people of marginalized backgrounds to break into professions that would otherwise not allow them to enter. Crowdfunding is therefore a feasible way in which you can fund your higher education.